Giving your family the gift of fresh air and good health is easy when you pick the best air purifier! Pure air is one of the basic essentials for a hygienic living condition. Now, it is in your hands to avail of such a benefit. You only have to look for the right air purifier and buy one.
Thankfully, you won’t need to look any further. Our air purifier buying guide will help you clarify all your doubts about buying the best air purifier for yourself. So that you are on the right path to choosing the appropriate air purifier for your home.
The air quality index in India has significantly worsened since the last decade. Its effects have been adverse and can be clearly seen in the population. This has prompted a rise in the production and sale of home air purifiers.
Even if many of us have been increasingly staying indoors, the worsening air quality index can still pose a threat to our health. You may be exposed to indoor air particles and pollutants, which can induce or worsen lung-related diseases.
In such cases, you need a good quality air purifier to upgrade your living conditions. The most crucial aspect that contributes to their good quality lies in their capability to clean a large enough room efficiently. It also needs to be quiet and conspicuous enough for you to sleep peacefully in your bedroom.
But figuring out the best air purifier for your home may not be as easy as it sounds. For that, we first need to get down to some basics: What are air purifiers? How do they work? Can they help in reducing the spread of Coronavirus? Below, we have discussed everything that you need to know about a typical indoor air purifier and answer some of the common queries regarding this home appliance that is increasingly becoming a necessity.
Let us start with the Reviews of the best air purifiers that our team at BestPriceBuys have picked from a wide array of some great air filters available in the Indian market today.
Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower TP03 WiFi-Enabled Air Purifier Review
The Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower TP03 is a powerful air purifier that claims to remove 99.95% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns. This air purifier from Dyson can work in large rooms and its Air Multiplier technology project and circulate purified air throughout the room.
It comes with a 360 degree, vacuum-sealed glass HEPA filter that helps in removing indoor air pollutants. The Second layer of tris-coated activated carbon captures household odors and potentially harmful toxins.
Its intelligent purification monitors react and purify the air in the room. The WiFi capability help in reporting the air quality data to the Dyson link app, so you can remotely control your environment. You also get the notification in the App when your Dyson Air Purifier needs a filter replacement.
It is an excellent choice for large rooms like your living room.
- Intelligent Purification: Automatically removes 99.95% of allergens & pollutants as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs and other harmful gases/odors;Dual Functionality: HEPA Air Purifier + Bladeless Fan in one. Backward airflow (Diffused) mode purifies without cooling
- Senses: With two intelligent sensors, the Dyson air purifier continually monitors and reacts to air quality changes.;Captures: Dyson purifiers have a lower face velocity unlike some other conventional purifiers. This, along with the high-efficiency VACUUM SEALED 360° Glass HEPA Filter & Tris-coated Activated Carbon Filter ensures that harmful ultra-fine pollutants are NOT released back into the room & stay captured in the filter media
- Projects: The only air purifier with Air Multiplier technology and customizable 90° oscillation;CONNECTED: Wi-Fi-connected home air purifier. See real time reports, remotely control your machine and create schedules around your day using the Dyson Link app. Alternatively, you can also control your air purifier through magnetized remote control
- Voice Enabled: Alexa and Google Assistant controlled for easy operation of your air purifier and to update you on the indoor air quality;Features include easy scheduling, 10 air-speed settings, night-time mode, sleep timer, and an easy-to-clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades so its safe for little fingers or paws; Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America);Warranty - 2 years. Parts and Labour. Easy returns.
- Material Type: Plastic
AGARO Air Purifier Review – 33329 Pure Wave 45W
The AGARO – 33329 Pure-Wave 45W Air Purifier is a remarkable model from AGARO a relatively new brand. The machine has substantially large coverage and can purify the air in the room up to 645 Sqft and offers a decent CADR of 260 m3/h. What more, AGARO has set the price for the model at a very attractive level to make it affordable to the masses.
The AGARO – 33329 air purifier comes with a True HEPA Filter with a filtration efficiency of 99.95% for particle size up to 0.3 microns. It also features a Digital Touch Display to show real-time air quality indicators and room temperature. It has 360 Degree Air intake with 7 Layer Filtration and three Speed Modes. For safety, the model offers a Child Lock and for convenience of operation, a Remote Control.
A great choice for your bedroom as well as regular size living room.
- True HEPA Filter with filtration efficiency of 99.95% for particle size up to 0.3 microns
- Digital Touch Display (Shows real time air quality indicators, Temperature and Child Lock)
- 360 Degree Air intake with 7 Layer Filtration I 3 Speed Modes I Remote Control
- High CADR of 260 m3/h
- Effective coverage area Upto 645 Sqft
- Warranty: 1 year warranty from date of purchase on main device (excluding filter)
- Power: 45 watts
- Includes: Air Purifier, Filter, User Guide, Power cord
Coway Air Purifier Review – AirMega 150 AP-1019C
The Coway AirMega 150 AP-1019C Air Purifier comes with a special Green Anti-Virus HEPA Filter to purify the air with 99.99% efficiency of Allergens, Bacteria, and Viruses. Coway is a Korean brand with a presence in over 80 countries and specializes in Air Care.
The AirMega 150 AP-1019C model of Air Purifier from Coway features its patented Urethane Carbon Filter to trap Bad Odor, Formaldehyde, VOCs, and Cigarette Smoke. The air purifier works in three different modes. The Intelligent Auto Mode adjusts the speed of Air Purifier based on Air Quality automatically. While the night mode turns off Mood/AQI light for complete room darkness. The special Turbo Mode helps in quick cleaning.
It also has filter replacement indicator blinks when the air purifier needs a change of HEPA Filter and Carbon Filter. The real-time Air Quality Indicator shows the room’s indoor Air Quality.
Mi 3 Air Purifier Review
The Mi Air Purifier 3 has True HEPA Filter with efficiency of 99.97% for particle size up to 0.3 microns. It offers 360 Degree air intake with three Layer Filtration and has a high CADR of 380 m3/h. With its effective coverage area up to 484 sq ft, it is ideally suitable for bedrooms.
The air purifier from MI features an OLED touch Display that shows real time PM2.5 concentration, room temperature and humidity level. It is Wi-Fi enabled and can connect with Google assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- The SMART Air Purifier in town Mi Air Purifier 3 the smartest gadget in your home, can be controlled via Mi Home app. Remotely operate your Air purifier for your kids or old age parents at home while working at your office desk. Stay calm because now you can monitor the air quality (AQI) of your home through the app from anywhere. Not just smart operations Mi Air Purifier 3 gives you a reminder for filter replacement through filter lifetime indicator for your convenience on App
- FIND RELIEF Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor. It also reduces volatile organic compounds (VOC) which is harmful for health.
- Unmatched Cleaning Power Purifies the room faster. With higher air delivery rate of 380m³/hr cleans an area of 100 sq ft within 5 mins and 1200 sq ft in an hour. Enjoy enhanced airflow in your home with the Innovative Design for Consistent Airflow of 6,333 Litres of clean air per minute
- Energy Saving & Easy Filter Core Changes Ultra-low energy consumption of 0.9kWh per 24 hours is achieved through high quality internals. A brushless DC motor combined with an improved 360° air channel design ensures smooth and quiet operation. Automatic mode silently purifies until impurities are detected and ramps up the speed and reaches 38W max. Filter cores can be conveniently changed in 3 easy steps.
- WHISPER QUIET AIR CLEANER Don’t forget to try the Sleep Mode which reduces the operating noise levels to a whisper quiet 33 dB, which is perfect for your bedroom or a child’s nursery.
- In Touch with your Needs The information you need is available at just a glance. OLED touch Display shows real time PM 2.5 concentration, Temperature and humidity level and Wi-Fi connection on the high resolution display. Switch between Sleep, Auto, Favourite, Low, Medium and High level modes with just a touch.
- Air Quality Indicator OLED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day Green color indicator for clean air, Orange color indicator for moderate clean air and Red color indicator for poor quality air.
- Great Aesthetics with Small Footprint Impress your friends and family with unmatched aesthetics. Full Square Design is intricately conceptualized to create a uniform 360 degree airflow path and supercharge ventilation. With a base area similar to a sheet of paper, Mi Air Purifier 3 can be placed anywhere in your room and it does its job while remaining nearly silent.
Philips 2000 Series Air Purifier Review (AC2887)
The Philips 2000 Series Air Purifier model AC2887 has three automatic purification settings: a General mode, an extra-sensitive Allergen mode, and an extra-powerful bacteria and virus mode. You can choose your preferred mode to personalize and optimize your purification.
The airflow circulation covers rooms up to 800 sq ft and distributes clean air in every corner of the room with a CADR of 333 m³/hr. This Air Purifier from Philips can effectively remove ultra-fine particles as small as 20 nanometer, effectively reduce harmful gases such as formaldehyde, Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC), odor and removes up to 99.9% bacteria and virus.
The inbuilt AeraSense sensor of the air purifier helps in identifying fine particles that are even smaller than PM2.5 and other airborne indoor allergens and adjusts the purifier’s settings to effectively process
- Philips is the No.1 Brand in Air Purifiers in India (Source: Euromonitor International Limited; Consumer Appliances 2020ED)
- VITASHIELD INTELLIGENT PURIFICATION: Automatically senses air quality and removes 99.97% airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 microns, 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
- FAST PURIFICATON: Purifies a standard room in just 10 minutes with a CADR of 333 m3/hour (Standard room size is 18 ft by 12 ft with an 8 ft ceiling height)'
- IDEAL FOR MASTER BEDROOM: Air Purifier is recommended for an area 269-409 sq ft.
- WARRANTY: Comes with 2 years worldwide warranty & free home service*.
- AIRMID CERTIFICATION: Removes 99.9% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus
- ECARF CERTIFICATION: Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites, Allergy friendly quality tested by ECARF
- GAS FILTRATION: Filters out TVOCs and other harmful gases
- AERASENSE TECHNOLOGY : Monitors and displays real-time numerical PM 2.5 levels with professional grade sensing technology
- CUSTOMER CARE: In case of any product queries / issues, please contact the Philips
Sharp Air Purifier Review (FP-F40E)
The Sharp Air Purifier FP-F40E has a dual purification process with active Plasmacluster Technology and passive True HEPA Filters H14 Carbon Pre-Filter. Using Sharp’s Japanese Plasma Cluster Technology, the air purifier captures 99.97% of impurities from rooms of your Homes and Offices with a coverage area of up to 320 sq. ft.
This air purifier from Sharp also features an auto-restart option, both Auto and Manual modes, has low noise level, and Dust and Odour sensor that helps clean the air.
- Plasmacluster Ion: SHARP's patented technology uses nature's way of purification and is certified by laboratories the world over including the coveted IIT Delhi, British Allergy Foundation
- SHARP Room Air Purifiers work on the concept of Dual Purification by use of the Plasmacluster & Filters (Pre-Filter, HEPA, Carbon) and is the perfect choice for an air purifier for homes and offices.
- HEPA Filter traps 99.97% allergens and microscopic dust as smallest as 0.3-micron and has a standard life of up to 2 years. Active Carbon Filter deodourizes the air and removes Volatile Organic Compound (VOCs), absorbs cigarette odour, pet odour and many other common household odours and has a standard life of up to 2 years.
- Filters: Pre-Filter (Mesh Type), HEPA Filter & Active-Carbon Filter | Modes: Auto Mode, Haze Mode. Auto Restart Feature, Odour Sensor, Dust Sensor
- Filter Life up to 2 Years (may vary according to use and environment conditions, depending on fan speed & indoor environment conditions)
Honeywell Air Touch i5 Room Air Purifier Review
The Air Touch i5 Air Purifier by Honeywell has a CADR of 250 m³/hr and a coverage area of up to 223 sq. ft. The three-stage filtration system cleans the air with more than 99% efficiency. It comes with a washable pre-filter that removes larger dust particles, pet hair, dander, soil, etc., and improves the life of the HEPA filter.
3D Air Flow Design of the Air purifier from Honeywell ensures optimized circulation. Takes in the air from the sides and bottom, releases pure air from the top at an angle appropriate to ensure optimum air circulation. The combined high-efficiency HEPA and activated carbon filter remove any microscopic pollutants and allergens above 0.3 microns including PM2.5, pollens, formaldehyde, toxic gases, VOCs, and odor.
The Honeywell Air Touch i5 Room Air Purifier is suitable for bedrooms and living room.
- Warranty: 12 months manufacturer warranty
- CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of 250 cu m/hr, offers up to 30 sq. m coverage area for a room with 2.74m height. Suitable for bedrooms and living room
- 3D Air Flow Design ensures optimised circulation
- Approximately 3000 hours of filter life, basis the ambient pollution can work for a year if used for 8 hours daily
- Washable pre-filter that removes larger dust particles, pet hair/dander, soil etc. and improves the life of HEPA filter
Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier Review (Pure Cool DP04)
The Dyson Pure Cool DP04 Air Purifier uses its unique algorithm that processes the input from three onboard sensors to diagnose, report, and purify the air in the entire room. It has three sensors to detect humidity and temperature sensor, particles sensor, and gas sensor.
This air purifier from Dyson has a sealed filtration system has two advanced filters to capture 99.95% of particle pollution as small as 0.1 microns. It comes with an H-13 Glass HEPA Filter and an improved activated carbon filter with Tris impregnation to capture more gases including formaldehyde, benzene, and NO2.
Its Air Multiplier technology projects over 360 liters of air per second, generating smooth yet powerful airflow. This combines with 350° oscillation to project and circulate purified air throughout the entire room.
The Dyson Pure Cool air purifier has a compact built for easy placement anywhere in the room and connects to the Dyson Link app to control and monitor your home air quality from anywhere.
- Intelligent Purification: Automatically removes 99.95% of allergens & pollutants as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs and other harmful gases/odors
- Dual Functionality: HEPA Air Purifier + Bladeless Fan in one. Backward airflow (Diffused) mode purifies without cooling
- Senses: The only air purifier that automatically senses and displays 4 different pollutants in real-time - PM2.5, PM10, VOCs, NO2. Also displays overall AQI (updated every 12 seconds) & 24-hour AQI graph on screen.
- Captures: The only air purifier with the high-efficiency VACUUM SEALED 360° Glass HEPA Filter & Tris-impregnated Activated Carbon Filter to ensure that harmful ultra-fine pollutants are NOT released back into the room & stay captured in the filter media
- Projects: The only air purifier with Air Multiplier technology and customizable 350° oscillation for proper whole room purification
- CONNECTED: Wi-Fi-connected home air purifier. See real time reports, remotely control your machine and create schedules around your day using the Dyson Link app. Alternatively, you can also control your air purifier through magnetized remote control
- Voice Enabled: Voice control using Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant for easy operation of your air purifier and to update you on the indoor air quality
- Features include easy scheduling, 10 air-speed settings, auto mode, night-time mode, sleep timer, and an easy-to-clean aperture with no fast-spinning blades so its safe for little fingers or paws
- Certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by AAFA (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)
- Warranty - 2 years (Parts and Labour). Easy returns.
Blue Star Air Purifier Review (BS-AP490LAN)
The BS-AP490LAN Blue Star Air Purifier has 7 stage filtration mechanism to handle physical, chemical and microbiological air pollutants. It has a high coverage area of up to 800 sq.ft. giving it the advantage of a wider reach and high filtration accuracy.
This air purifier from Blue Star employs SensAir Technology intelligently sense, detect, continuously monitor and indicate the presence of harmful pollutants inside the closed environment,.
The high-density aluminum pre-filter of Blue Star BS-AP490LAN Air Purifier removes large-sized fine dust particles. The cold catalyst filter and formaldehyde removal filter together absorb and remove offensive odors, benzene, TVOCs, formaldehyde smoke, and VOCs.
The antibacterial filter helps resist bacterial growth, a True HEPA filter traps the fine dust particulate matters up to PM10 and PM2.5. Finally, the microbe sterilization technology deactivates airborne microbes and bacteria like E-Coli, fungi, and staphylococcus.
- Blue Star Air Purifiers are designed to reduce or eliminate air pollutants inside closed door environments, thereby ensuring high indoor air quality. The advanced purification process keeps you away from harmful disease-causing microbes and chemical air borne toxins
- Purification Technology UV based Microbe Sterilize Technology+SensAir + HEPA Filtration
- Purification Filter Type HEPA+Active Carbon+Ionizer+ UV, Purification stages- 4
- Coverage Area- 800 Sq.Ft., Number of Fan Speed: 4, Silent mode
- Powerful CADR-444CMH, Power Requirement- 230Volts, Frequency- 50Hz, Body Material: ABS
- Digital timer with settings of 1,2,4 and 8 hours for user preferred time of auto switch off, Filter change indicator, Filter clean alarm (720 hrs)
Philips 1000 Series Air Purifier Review (AC1215/20)
The Philips Air Purifier Series 1000 has great sensing performance that automatically monitors and purifies the air. The Vitashield IPS with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Pro Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr.
The extra thick NanoProtect Series 1 HEPA filter ensures purification efficiency against airborne particles and captures up to 99.97% of particles pass through the filter. It can effectively remove ultra-fine particles as small as 0.02um. Also, it filters out harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC as well as allergens and odors.
The air purifier from Philips features three auto modes – General, Allergen, and NightSense and has 4 four manual settings including turbo speed. The child lock feature prevents unintended changes in settings.
It suitable for small to medium rooms such as your bedroom of up to 207 sq. ft.
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and removes 99.97% airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 microns, 800 times smaller than PM 2.5
- Purifies a standard room in just 12 minutes with a CADR of 270 m3/hour (Standard room size is 18 ft by 12 ft with an 8 ft ceiling height). Recommended room area: 226-333 sq ft.
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter
- 4-color air quality indicator gives real time air quality feedback
- Removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, tested to remove airborne H1N1 virus
- Removes 99.99% pollen and house dust mites, Allergy friendly quality tested by ECARF
- Philips is the no.1 brand in Air purifiers in India (Source: Euromonitor International Limited; Consumer Appliances 2018ED)
What Is An Air Purifier?
You may not be very aware of it but the indoor air can be very polluted. Air pollution inside your home comes mainly from cooking, automobile emissions, dust and fires, which can irritate the lungs or even trigger various allergic reactions. Infact, many surveys say that the air inside our homes can be more polluted than the air outside. In such cases, the use of air filters becomes necessary.
An indoor air purifier or an air cleaner is basically an electric appliance which helps in removing contaminants from the air in a room to improve the indoor air quality. These devices are generally used as a way to combat allergy and various lung diseases, and also to reduce or eliminate any smoke particles.
How Does An Air Purifier Works?
The main purpose of indoor air purifiers is to sanitize the air. It is designed to remove particulate matters from the air. You can say that their working is based on the exact opposite principle of oil diffusers and humidifiers, where they add particles to indoor air instead.
Air purifiers act differently than air filters. Air filters are limited to only removing particles but purifiers have the ability to sanitize them as well. An air purifier may also act as a complement to an air filter and other strategies to help get rid of particles like mold, allergens (pollens, pet danders and dust mites), smoke and indoor toxins (usually sourced from cleaning products, personal care products, etc.)
What are the different types of filtration techniques used in Air Purifiers?
The type of particles that you want removed depends on the type of indoor air purifier you choose. Some versions are made with filters which trap particles as air runs through them and some others are able to neutralize particles in the air without filtering them first.
Most indoor air purifiers carry out their process with the help of High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance or HEPA filters. When the air in the room passes through this HEPA filter, it gets converted to pollution-free air. There are also other filtration techniques that are incorporated along with HEPA filters to enhance the filtration quality:
Using UV rays are some of the most effective ways to destroy the bacteria and other pathogens that contaminate the air. However, this type of air filter is not much effective in purifying dust particles and other smaller particulate matters. So they are best limited to allergens and bacteria only.
Carbon filters consisting of layers of active carbon are very porous and quite absorbent. The filter can absorb the contaminants from the air to provide a cleaner air in your room.
This process is generally not used in regular purifiers. It is a relatively modern technique where they convert the air into positive and negative ions using electromagnetism. The electric charge makes the particles heavier and the heavy particles fall to the ground as a result. These particles can later be cleaned with a vacuum. The only disadvantage is that ozone is also produced by ionic filters, which is bad for the environment.
Ozone helps in blocking harmful UV rays and constitutes a major part of our atmosphere. Techniques with ozone purifiers are only used for commercial or emergency purposes. Similar to UV filters, they are also effective exclusively against allergens and pathogens.
What are the benefits of using an Air Purifier?
Reduces Allergies And Asthma Symptoms
Medications for allergies and asthma can help alleviate symptoms and prevent reactions. Still, air purifiers go one step beyond and may help remove the root of those symptoms. After prolonged use, you might experience fewer allergic reactions and asthma symptoms than before.
Removes allergens and other toxic particles
They are good at efficiently filtering out many airborne allergens and other toxic particles from the air. Their most common targets include:
- Algae and fungal spores
- Dust particles
- Dust mites and their excrements
- Pet dander
- Viruses and Bacteria
- Wood smoke
- Tobacco or marijuana smoke
- Wildfire smoke
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Household Gases
- Soot from automobiles
Removes Airborne Pathogens
HEPA air purifiers also capture many airborne pathogens, including most bacteria and viruses. As a result, room air purifiers can also improve your sleep, reduce allergies, or lessen your asthma symptoms, if you have any.
How to Buy the Best Air Purifier in India? – Air Purifier Buying Guide
Before buying an air purifier, it is essential that you first narrow down your specific needs. You may be looking for an air purifier for allergies or to protect you against harmful gases. Or maybe you just want an air purifier to filter out kitchen smoke.
Before buying, you should pay attention to how many square feet the air purifier can clean and how often the air purifier will require a replacement air filter.
Some air purifiers use electrostatic charges to filter the air and generate a small amount of ozone as a byproduct. But it can cause health problems at high concentrations, even if ozone purifiers are often billed as air cleaners.
You should take note of various factors before you decide to buy a room air purifier. Even if every room air purifier company claims that they provide the best air purifiers in India, it is better to be careful. An air purifier with a HEPA filter is highly recommended for the best results.
Below we have covered the things that contribute to the effectiveness of an air purifier:
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
CADR is the measure of how quickly an air purifier can clean the air within a particular room. It works by determining how many cubic feet of air is purified by the air filter in one minute. It can also be specified in cubic meters per hour. The performance of a room air purifier depends on its CADR value, i.e., the higher the CADR value, the better is the performance. Therefore, always make sure to buy an air purifier with a high CADR.
Air Changes Per Hour (ACH)
ACH or Air Change Rate refers to the number of times the air filter can clean the air within a room per hour. If you live in metropolitan cities, it is better to select an air purifier with a minimum Air Change Rate of 4. This number means that after every 15 minutes it fully cleans the air within the room.
Air Quality Indicator (AQI)
An air purifier comes with an LED indicator called the Air Quality Indicator that tells you about the air quality. It helps in determining whether the air in your room is clean or not.
If the LED indicator shows green, then it means that the air quality is good, while an orange light indicates that the quality of the air is average. However, if it shows red light, it means that the air quality is poor.
Particulate matter – PM 2.5 to PM 10
Impurities present in the air can be of different sizes. On the basis of their size, there are mainly two types of impurities:
- PM 2.5 – This signifies particulate matter with an aerodynamic diameter smaller than 2.5 micrometers.
- PM 10 – Particulate matter of this size is larger, so they have an aerodynamic diameter smaller than 10 micrometers. If we inhale these particles, it can cause harm to our body.
Effectiveness of HEPA filtration
The HEPA filters provide a different level of filtration level. If you live in an area with higher pollution levels, you should absolutely go for a high-performance HEPA filter.
Air purifiers with HEPA Filters can absorb any particles as small as 0.1 microns or even smaller. But this also depends on their individual effectiveness, so make sure that you check the HEPA filter before buying them.
The air exchange rate refers to the amount of air passing through the air filter in one minute. A higher air exchange rate means that more air will be cleaned less time than the lower-rated devices. So make sure to pick a room air purifier with a high rating.
It is generally recommended to regularly change your air filter. Depending on the level of air pollution in your area, you may even have to change your frequency.
In such cases, your home air purifier will automatically notify you before the filter is entirely unusable. Most filters come equipped with systems that alert you based on regular checks. But for real-time assessment, filters that show the current state of the filter are better. They may cost you more, but it is an acceptable compromise since it relates to your overall health.
Sensor and Monitor
High-quality air purifiers come with sensors that can monitor air quality and automatically provide the needed level of purification. These features save you from the hustle of manually changing the setting of your air purifier every once in a while. Only a select few air purifiers offer this option, but it is very worth it.
Air purifiers with variable fan speeds are highly in demand due to their efficient ways. This feature helps to set the fan speed according to the level of pollution. This ability to change the fan speed manually or automatically will help you get your required result.
The control of fan speed will keep your electricity bills in check, but the fan’s speed is a deciding factor in the level of noise.
As we discussed earlier, air purifiers may release ozone gas into the atmosphere, especially if you use the ozone purification technique. The presence of ozone in small quantities may not be harmful, but it can start affecting you with repeated use.
Effective ownership cost
It doesn’t matter how effective your air purifier may be. It will end up costing you more than its buying cost. The maintenance cost of the appliance should give you an idea about the effective ownership cost.
For example, the cost and frequency of filter replacements are a deciding factor since you’ll have to change the filter periodically. You can also use permanent filters, which can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner. However, it can cost you even more at the time of buying.
On the other hand, the ownership cost of purifiers with temporary filters will increase over time. So permanent filters are a better choice if you want to save money.
Other Factors To Consider when picking the Best Air Purifier
It is important to remember that an air purifier won’t necessarily remove or neutralize all the aggravating particles in your home. This is because many particles can settle on soft surfaces, for example as furniture, bedding, and carpets, even surfaces, like your walls.
You also can’t do anything about the allergens, bacteria, or viruses that have settled on the surface of furniture placed in the room.Use a mop or a vacuum cleaner to remove allergens like pet hair and pollen. While for viruses and bacteria, you’ll need a disinfectant cleaner.
Air purifiers should never be a replacement for your allergy medications. You should talk to your doctor before reducing or stopping any medicines.
A more extensive air purifier system is ideal if you aim to sanitize the air space in your entire home. Otherwise, you should consider multiple smaller or portable purifiers for each room in your home.
Additional Measures To Keep Your Indoor Space Clean
Despite their benefits, air purifiers won’t be very effective if you don’t take other steps to create a clean environment in your home, too. These devices can only remove particles in the air. They won’t be any help once these particles settle on surfaces in your home. You have to clean them yourselves.
You can prevent unwanted particles from entering your indoor air space by following the steps below:
- Avoid smoking inside the house.
- Clean the rugs, carpeting, and fabric furniture often. Sweep these spaces at least once a week with a HEPA filter vacuum.
- Remove the carpeting in the case of severe allergies.
- Wash your beddings with hot water once a week.
- If possible, switch to non-toxic cleaning products.
- Keep your room ventilated by opening a window and running the fans whenever you use harsh chemicals for cleaning or disinfecting.
- Bathe pets often. Try to avoid sleeping with your pets if you are allergic to them.
- Ensure that you maintain the right humidity in your home so that it’s low enough to prevent any dust mites and mold. Don’t use a humidifier if it is not necessary.
How to maintain your Air Purifier?
For efficient working of your air purifier, you need to set it up, operate it properly, and occasionally check for maintenance.
- Place your air purifier correctly: Install it at least 18 inches away from a wall or any furniture. It is best located near the midpoint of the room it is installed in.
- Choose Air Purifier as per Room Size: One purifier for one room is generally the best course of action for an adequate clean indoor space. This is because purifiers work best in a contiguous space. However, that may not always be practical. This is why you can also opt to buy portable, lightweight air purifiers that come with handles so that they can be easily carried from one room to another.
- Run Air Purifier in Standard Setting: Try to run the air purifier on its standard power settings as much as you can. Under this setting, the air purifier is at its highest “quiet” setting – which is 50 decibels (dBA) or less. While under unfavorable conditions, it is recommended to keep it running on the high power setting for an hour and after that on quiet or medium.
- Close Doors and Windows: Keep the doors and windows closed whenever you use the air purifier. A draft or an open door can draw polluted or unfiltered air into a room at a faster rate than the air purifier can deal with it. Therefore, you should close the door behind you whenever you walk in or out.
- Clean Pre-filter Regularly: The pre-filter that is placed at the top of your air purifier needs to be cleaned monthly. It looks like a window screen or plastic netting. It catches larger particles, such as pet hair. Keeping it clean helps the HEPA filter work unimpeded on fine particles.
- Schedule filter replacement: Manufacturers usually recommend a yearly replacement, but check the purifier manual to be sure. It is best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Do Air Purifiers Prevent COVID-19 Coronavirus?
The rapid spread of COVID-19 is challenging people to constantly keep their homes cleaner – one of the ways is to keep an air purifier. It has been acknowledged that the virus may possibly spread via the air. However, there is no concrete evidence that air purifiers prevent Coronavirus.
HEPA filters are most efficient at capturing ultrafine particles. The size of the Coronavirus is approximately around 0.125 microns in diameter. The size of the virus particle falls within the particle-size range that HEPA filters capture: 0.01 micron and above. So, in theory, air purifiers could be able to trap Coronavirus. However, it may not be sufficient to stop the spread of COVID-19.
The size of the Coronavirus is at the lower end of a HEPA filter’s range, so it might not possibly be 100% effective on a single pass. But if a HEPA system is run over a while, it can reduce the virus load present in the affected area. Long enough exposure to the UV light in an air purifier can disable some viruses. Whether it has the same effect on Coronavirus or not is yet to be scientifically proven.
Many health guidelines have also stated that air from rooms where COVID-19 patients are being isolated should be filtered through a HEPA filter directly before recirculation. These guidelines also advise healthcare workers to consider the addition of portable HEPA filtration units to augment air quality. Especially in areas where permanent air-handling systems are not a feasible option.
In case there is a COVID-19 patient in your household, it might make sense to have a home air purifier in their room. It could help protect the caregivers from possible exposure. It can also be beneficial if someone in your household is at extremely high risk – either contracting the Coronavirus or developing further complications from the disease.
But even if you decide to buy an air purifier as a preventive measure, we recommend that you also continue to closely follow COVID-19 precautions. This includes social distancing, wearing a face mask, washing your hands frequently, and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces. Ultimately, purchasing an air purifier is your own personal decision.
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Purifiers
How long should I run my air purifier?
The duration depends on the size of the area where you are living. If it is a small room, it will take less time to clean air, but if used in a large room or a hall, it requires a much longer time to complete its work. On average, you can run your home air purifier for short intervals only.
How much sound does an air purifier make?
Air purifiers may make some noise while operating. It more or less depends on the particular air purifier and how fast its fan is working.
Does air purifier cure allergies or breathing problems?
No, it doesn’t cure them. Air purifier just improves the air quality of your living area. At most, it only acts as a medicinal therapy or a preventive measure for allergic symptoms.
Where should I place my air purifier?
The living room or the bedroom is generally the best spot for a home air purifier as we spent most of the time there than any other place in our house. But it may differ from person to person.
What do air purifiers do?
Air purifiers use physical filters to trap small particles in the air within your home. They can capture any kind of airborne mold and fungal spores, smoke, pollen, dust, bacteria, and viruses. If necessary, you can even employ a second filter that contains adsorbent compounds like activated carbon to capture gases and odors (volatile organic compounds, or VOCs).
What does HEPA mean?
HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air. These filters let air pass through with little resistance while quickly capturing almost all the particles the air is carrying. It is a physical process where a fan draws in particles from the air through a dense, felt-like filter with billions of tiny gaps of varying size. The air passes through almost efficiently and uninterrupted. Simultaneously, the maze-like web of fibers traps nearly all the particles, from relatively larger stuff like pollen to ultrafine entities like viruses.
The increasingly worsening air quality index is bound to make you sick eventually, even as you stay indoors. Therefore, it will be a good decision on your part if you install room air purifiers in your home to create a healthy living environment for yourself.
Still, home air purifiers work best when they are equipped with proper filtration, and you do your own part in keeping your house clean. A room air purifier alone can’t improve the indoor air quality, but it will certainly help.
To help you decide to buy the best air purifier in India, we have provided all the essential details about the appliance. In our listings, we covered every feature and benefit that comes with an air purifier so that you can match your set of requirements and budget.
So without any further delay, bring a fresher and cleaner environment to your home with a new air purifier!
Product details last update on 2024-02-27 at 18:02 / Contains Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API